When you join the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, you enter a network of more than 6,000 men who form lifelong bonds, honor their heroic ancestors, and promote historic preservation, education, and patriotism in their communities. There are hereditary members, who trace their lineage to those who served honorably in the Civil War, and associate members, who do not have the requisite ancestry but wish to join the fraternity. Each is described in greater detail below.
Hereditary Membership (Member & Junior)
1. You must directly descend from a Soldier, Sailor, Marine or member of the Revenue Cutter Service (or directly descend from a brother, sister, half-brother, or half-sister of such Soldier, etc.) who was regularly mustered and served honorably in, was honorably discharged from, or died in the service of, the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Revenue Cutter Service of the United States of America or in such state regiments called to active service and was subject to the orders of United States general officers, between April 12, 1861 and April 9, 1865.
2. You must never have been convicted of any infamous or heinous crime.
3. You, or the ancestor through whom membership is claimed, must never have voluntarily borne arms against the government of the United States.
Associate membership is available to men who do not have the ancestry to qualify for hereditary membership. Associate membership is available to any man who demonstrates a genuine interest in the Civil War and can subscribe to the purpose and objects of the SUVCW.
Although an Associate is not required to meet the lineage requirement of a Member, he is still subject to the second and third provisions of hereditary eligibility. An Associate may vote and hold any office except those of Commander-in-Chief, Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief, Junior Vice Commander-in-Chief, National Secretary, National Treasurer and Commanding Officer of the Sons of Veterans Reserve.
If you live in central or southern Indiana and would like a membership application, please contact our Camp Secretary-Treasurer. You may also download a membership application, in Adobe PDF format, by clicking the image below.
When you have completed the application, make sure to mail it to the Camp Secretary-Treasurer at the address shown on the Contact page. We look forward to hearing from you!
Sons of Veterans Reserve
The Sons of Veterans Reserve (SVR) is the ceremonial uniformed military component of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). The National Military Department of the SVR consists of the General Staff and seven geographical Military Districts across the nation. SVR Units participate in Civil War related ceremonies, parades, living history programs, and re-enactments. In Indiana (Third Military District) the SVR unit is Co. D, 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Sons of Veterans Reserve.
Membership in the Sons of Veterans Reserve is open to any Member (Hereditary), Junior (Hereditary), or Associate (Non-hereditary) of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. To be in the SVR you must be a Member or Associate in the SUVCW. Individuals must file an application for membership. Minimal annual dues are charged all SVR members.
For more information about the SVR, contact Captain Bruce Kolb, Co D., 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Sons of Veterans Reserve.
Eliza E. George No. 356, Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Ben Harrison Camp No. 356 is honored to have the only Auxiliary in the state of Indiana.
Membership in the Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War May be obtained through eligibility in the following ways:
1. As the wife, sister, daughter, legally adopted daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter and so forth, niece and grandniece and so forth, not less than twelve (12) years of age, of a deceased or honorably discharged Soldier, Sailor or Marine who served in the Union Army, Navy or Coast Guard (including Revenue Cutter Service) during the Civil War of 1861 to 1865.
2. As the wife, widow, mother or legally adopted daughter of a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, with lineage, in good standing.
3. Associates: Those ladies who do not qualify for membership under #1 or #2 above, but who desire to affiliate with the ASUVCW.
For more information about the Auxiliary, contact Jennifer Thompson, Eliza E. George No. 356, ASUVCW Secretary.
This Day In Civil War History
Recently Updated Pages
Join Our Yahoo! Group E-mail Lists
Click here to join the Camp Yahoo E-mail List
Click here to join the Indiana Department Yahoo E-Mail List